In 1976, Michael J. Hanley and Michael M. Wood had a vision to create the foremost information source for the residential and commercial design and construction industries. That vision and passion continues to drive our company every day. Here is our story.
Hanley Wood Timeline
Housing Industry Timeline
- Hanley Wood makes two major acquisitions: Metrostudy, the nation’s leading provider of primary and secondary market information to the housing and related industries; and the Greenbuild Conference and Expo.
- Hanley Wood acquired by a new management group comprised of Oaktree Capital Management, LP, Strategic Value Partners, LLC, and Tennenbaum Capital Partners, LLC.
- Hanley Wood is acquired by JP Morgan Partners. Hanley Wood acquires Feasinomics, Inc.
- Hanley Wood enters the housing data business with the acquisition of The Meyers Group, renamed Hanley Wood Market Intelligence.
- Hanley Wood launches BIG BUILDER conference for high-level executives and decision makers from the nation's top home-building firms.
- Hanley Wood acquires the Remodelers' Show trade show, International Pool & Spa Expo, and POOL & SPA NEWS and AQUATICS INTERNATIONAL magazines.
- Exhibitions Division launches with the goal of making Hanley Wood a major player in the trade show business.
- Hanley Wood sold to private equity firm Veronis, Suhler, Stevenson, providing resources for further growth.
- Hanley Wood acquires The Aberdeen Group, major trade show producer and publisher. This acquisition makes Hanley Wood a $100 million company.
- Hanley Wood launches its first Web site, BUILDER Online.
- Hanley Wood acquires The Wells Group, a custom publisher that would grow into the company's integrated marketing division.
- Hanley Wood enters the world of electronic publishing with its first CD-ROM, The Guide to Building Products..
- The quarterly BUILDER'S BEST HOME PLANS launches, becoming Hanley Wood's first consumer house-plan magazine.
- PROSALES and BUILDING PRODUCTS magazines launch, bringing reach to new markets within the industry.
- REMODELING magazine acquired.
- BUILDER magazine acquired.
- Michael J. Hanley and Michael M. Wood founded Hanley Wood as a custom publisher.
- Housing market continues to improve fueling confidence in a sustained recovery.
- Residential and commercial construction markets show consistent signs of a steady, sustainable recovery.
- Real estate market collapses, fundamentally reshaping the industry.
- Home ownership reaches an all-time high of 69%.
- Median U.S. home value: $119,600 (unadjusted).
- OSHA given $2 million for residential construction guidelines.
- Median U.S. home value: $79,100 (unadjusted).
- Nation's 100 millionth home completed.
- Median U.S. home value: $47,200 (unadjusted).
- Average cost of a new house: $43,400 (unadjusted).