News & Opinions
The latest news and insights from Hanley Wood’s outspoken experts and key thought-leaders throughout the residential and commercial design and construction industry.
Only 16 Percent of B2B Consumers Prefer Live Webinars
Mathew Sweezey / ClickZ / June 4, 2013
When marketers list the types of content they’re producing , many put a check next to the box titled “webinars.” These online presentations have been used effectively for many years, and the webinar’s popularity has surged with the decline of tradeshows during the recent recession.
Webinars are traditionally viewed as a singular event, where there is an invite to attend, a pre-planned hour (or less) for execution, and a follow-up. However, in a recent survey I conducted, only 16 percent of people preferred to see a webinar live, vs. viewing a recording of the webinar after the fact.
If the novelty of attending a live webinar is wearing off, is the power of webinars gone, or are there new and more effective ways to use them to generate leads?
In my research, I asked 400 B2B consumers how they prefer to watch a webinar. While only 16 percent said they prefer to watch it live, the other 84 percent either didn’t care if it was live or preferred to watch it at another time. If you are only looking at driving leads from webinar registration, you might be missing the biggest trend in lead generation from webinars: the people who can’t make it.
Anita Wehnert, who is responsible for product strategy at webinar solution ReadyTalk, advises, “At ReadyTalk, we’ve seen average attendance of our own live webinars drop from about 45 to 50 percent to about 35 to 40 percent over the past year, but we’re getting three to five times that number of leads from the recording.”
What if we looked at the webinar as a series of small videos instead of a singular, one-off event? What doors would this open, and how could we drive more leads with the same input?