News & Opinions
The latest news and insights from Hanley Wood’s outspoken experts and key thought-leaders throughout the residential and commercial design and construction industry.
Top Kitchen Likes and Dislikes From Consumer Reports’ Facebook Fans
Daniel DiClerico / Consumer Reports / June 3, 2013
In putting together this year’s special report on kitchen remodeling trends, Consumer Reports spoke to designers, architects, remodeling contractors, among other professionals. But we also checked in with our Facebook fans to learn what people love and hate about their kitchens, as well as the lessons learned from their own kitchen makeovers. Here are some of the responses from the hundreds we received. You can join in the conversation by visiting Consumer Reports on Facebook.
What’s the best decision you’ve ever made on a kitchen remodeling project
- Putting in energy efficient appliances—makes a huge difference.
- We decided to keep the original cabinets, purchased additional cabinets(from Habitat for Humanity) to accommodate the new design, refinished all of the cabinets and purchased new knobs and pulls. We saved a lot of money by doing this, which allowed us to upgrade to exotic granite.
- At the decorator’s recommendation, we installed a large skylight into a previously perennially dark kitchen. The change was dramatic.
- Bought a second hand kitchen, cherry cabinets, solid wood construction, dishwasher, cooktop, stove microwave and fridge for $4,000 from a deconstruction firm, Second Chance. When we tell people that the cabinets are used, they cannot believe it!
- Double-oven stove for me … next favorite thing is the full-size, built in pantry.
If you had to choose, what would you say you dislike the most about your kitchen?
- I wish my condo had a range hood vented to the outside instead of the combination microwave and fake vent.
- Stainless steel appliances. They are much too difficult to keep clean on a daily basis. I couldn’t wait to have them, and now I can’t stand them!>
- Getting on my knees on the floor so that I can find that pot shoved in the very back of the messy, messy, cabinet.
- [Lack of] storage for large items like pots and small appliances.
- Carpet. In. The. Kitchen. Really? Who thought that would be a good idea?
- Definitely the 70’s GOLD color … hate it.