News & Opinions
The latest news and insights from Hanley Wood’s outspoken experts and key thought-leaders throughout the residential and commercial design and construction industry.
Why Do Remodelers Buy From Him and Not From You?
Victoria Downing / Remodelers Advantage / July 1, 2013
I’ve been working in the remodeling industry for over 20 years – working with remodelers of all shapes and sizes, as well as with representatives of companies who sell products and service to remodelers. It’s sort of amazing that I keep running into these two issues;
- Some building product companies go after remodeling sales when new construction halts but STILL abandon these efforts at the first sign of any health in new homes. BIG Mistake!
- Those companies who believe that the remodeling segment represents a huge opportunity for increased revenue and long term sales often don’t understand HOW to reach the right remodelers, so waste time and effort as they experiment.
Over the course of the next several months, we’ll be exploring these issues in depth and I’ll be sharing our results with you.
To kick this off, I asked the members of the Remodelers Advantage LinkedIn Group — several thousand professional remodelers strong — to share the reasons they choose one product or supplier over another.
Here are some of their comments.
- It really is a mixed bag of reasons. Quality is important, relationship with supplier, price to some degree but not totally, ease of use/installation, availability, etc. Bottom line is best item for the job within the budget.
- I want to deal with someone that appreciates my REPEAT business and treats me better than a homeowner and shows that in their price.
- Brand characteristics (with requirements that vary per job), relationships, price, relationships, availability, shipping costs, relationships, oh and I did I mention, relationships are very important to me