Award-winning projects span the spectrum of sustainable design and high-performance features
WASHINGTON, D.C. (July 23, 2012) — EcoHome, the leading source of information about certified green building products and projects and a magazine of the American Institute of Architects (AIA), unveiled the winners of its annual Design Awards program today. The competition honors the best sustainable homes for innovative design, green building features, environmental performance, and integration with their sites and communities.
2012 Grand recipients are:
- Montecito Modern in Montecito, Calif. (Architect: Ferguson-Ettinger Architects; Builder: Allen Associates)
- New England Vacation House in Newport County, R.I. (Architect: ZeroEnergy Design; Builder: Aedi Construction)
- Nove Residences in San Francisco, Calif. (Architect: Handel Architects; Builder: Linea Built)
- Phantom Canyon Ranch in Livermore, Colo. (Architect: MQ Architecture & Design, LLC; Builder: Merten Construction)
- Primera Terra in Playa Vista, Calif. (Architect: KTGY Group; Builder: KB Home)
- South Hills Retirement Residence in Pittsburgh, Pa. (Architect: Thoughtful Balance, with Rothschild Doyno Collaborative; Builder: Sota Construction Services)
- Terra Caelo in St. George, Utah (Architect: Gulch Design Group; Builder: J2 Construction)
- TerraHaus in Unity, Maine (Architect and Builder: G•O Logic)
- VOLKsHouse in Santa Fe, N.M. (Architect: Mojarrab Stanford Architects; Builder: August Construction)
2012 Merit recipients are:
- Hacienda Ja Ja in Alamo Heights, Texas (Architect: Lake|Flato Architects; Builder: Truax Construction)
- Killingsworth Station in Portland, Ore. (Architect: Vallaster Corl Architects; Builder: R&H Construction)
- Kohler Residence in Milwaukee, Wis. (Architect: Russell E LaFrombois, III, LLC; Builder: Bierman Construction and Building Blocks Construction)
- Main Street Village Apartments in Fremont, Calif. (Architect: JSW/D Architects; Builder: Devcon Construction)
- North Peak in Austin, Texas (Architect: Furman + Keil Architects; Builder: Pilgrim Building Co.)
- Project Green Home in Palo Alto, Calif. (Architect: Arkin Tilt Architects; Builder: Red Co.)
- Salishan - Sal 7 in Tacoma, Wash. (Architect: Torti Gallas and Partners with McGranahan Architects; Builder: Walsh Construction)
Spring Street Renovation in Newport, R.I. (Architect: A4 Architecture + Planning Inc.; Builder: Atlantic Building & Remodeling LLC) also received an Honorable Mention.
"Every year we witness a deepening awareness and maturity in sustainable design, but nowhere is this more evident than in the projects submitted for consideration in our EcoHome Design Awards program and in the outstanding projects ultimately selected to receive the awards," said Rick Schwolsky, editor in chief of EcoHome. "This year's 17 award-winning projects show continued progress in environmental design and demonstrate that the integration of rich architectural design and true technical performance is clearly taking hold. From new to remodeled homes and multifamily to affordable housing, these projects provide shining examples of design solutions that provide sustainable shelter in a wide range of styles, locations, and costs."
EcoHome Design Award winners are selected from an open call of entries and reviewed by a panel of industry experts. This year's jury included John Barrows of J. Barrows, Inc.; Tedd Benson of Bensonwood Homes; Michelle Desiderio of NAHB Research Center; Asa Foss of U.S. Green Building Council; and Manny Gonzalez of KTGY Group. Recipients will be profiled in EcoHome (print and online) in July and honored at the Builder's Choice Awards dinner on October 11 in Washington, D.C. To learn more about the program, visit www.EcoHomeMagazine.com. For more information about the competition or the entry process, contact Christine Serlin at 208.288.0399.
Published by Hanley Wood, LLC, EcoHome is a trusted media source for green-focused builders, architects, and other industry professionals in print, online, and in person. Its award-winning coverage of certified green building projects and products cuts through the confusion surrounding green/sustainable product selection, and delivers the highest levels of clarity, accuracy, and credibility to the home building professionals who rely on our content for professional guidance. www.EcoHomeMagazine.com
About Hanley Wood
Hanley Wood, LLC is the premier media and information company serving the residential, commercial design and construction industries. Through its operating platforms, the company produces award-winning digital and print publications, e-Newsletters, websites, marquee trade shows and events, market intelligence data and custom marketing solutions. The company also is North America's leading publisher of home plans.