WASHINGTON, D.C. (May 2, 2013) – Hanley Wood and the Hanley Foundation released today the names of eight distinguished nominees for The Hanley Award for Vision and Leadership in Sustainable Housing. The Hanley Award, now in its fourth year, is sponsored by The Hanley Foundation, ECOHOME, and BUILDER. Previous winners are Edward Mazria (2009), Alex Wilson (2010), and Sam Rashkin (2012). One recipient will be honored and presented with $50,000, the largest annual award ever established in the residential design and construction industry. Noteworthy candidates have demonstrated extraordinary, lasting, and far-reaching contributions to the advancement of sustainable housing in the United States.
This year’s nominees are:
- John Abrams - Founder, South Mountain Company, Martha’s Vineyard, MA
- Bob Berkebile, FAIA - Founding Principal, BNIM Architects, Kansas City, MO
- Dennis Creech - Co-founder, Southface Energy Institute, Atlanta, GA
- Douglas Farr - Founder, Farr Associates, Chicago, IL
- Mark LaLiberte - Founder, LaLiberte Online, Scottsdale, AZ
- Christopher Leinberger - President, LOCUS; Senior Fellow, The Brookings Institution, Washington D.C.
- Sarah Susanka, FAIA - Architect and Author of The Not So Big Series, Raleigh, NC
- Steven Winter, FAIA - Founder, Steven Winter Associates, Norwalk, CT
This year’s judges are Michael J. Hanley, president of the Hanley Foundation and creator of The Hanley Award; Frank Anton, Vice Chairman of Hanley Wood; Sam Rashkin, 2012 Hanley Award recipient and chief Architect, DOE Building Technologies Program; Eden Brukman, Principal at Concenter Solutions and former VP of the Living Future Institute; and Aurora Sharrard, PhD, VP Innovation, Green Building Alliance.
The Hanley Award will be presented to the winner on September 4, 2013 at the annual Hanley Award Dinner in Washington, D.C. To learn more about the award, click here.
About The Hanley Foundation
The Hanley Foundation is a non-profit foundation that provides funding for housing, environmental and other causes. Michael Hanley, retired chairman and co-founder of Hanley Wood, started the family foundation in 1999. The Foundation supports local entities helping provide shelter, like Friendship Place in Washington, D.C., the Boys and Girls Clubs of Greater Washington, and the Chesapeake Bay Foundation, along with many others. In 2009, The Foundation established The Hanley Award.
About Hanley Wood
Hanley Wood, LLC is the premier media, event, information and strategic marketing services company serving the residential, commercial design and construction industries. Through its operating platforms, the company produces award-winning digital and print publications, Newsletters, websites, marquee trade shows and events, Market Intelligence data and strategic marketing solutions. The company also is North America's leading publisher of home plans.